Alec Baldwin will be going back to work soon.
The actor is set to resume filming “Rust” after being charged with involuntary manslaughter over the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
“Though bittersweet, I am grateful that a brilliant and dedicated new production team joining former cast and crew are committed to completing what Halyna and I started,” director Joel Souza, who was also injured in the October 2021 incident, said in a press release obtained by E! News Tuesday.
“My every effort on this film will be devoted to honoring Halyna’s legacy and making her proud. It is a privilege to see this through on her behalf.”
Production on the western film, which halted in the wake of Hutchins’ death, will restart in the spring. Additionally, Hutchins’ widower, Matthew Hutchins, will join the crew as an executive producer as a result of his October 2022 settlement with Baldwin. Bianca Cline will take over as cinematographer.
The press release also noted that safety officers Gary Jensen and Paul Jordan of Tenet Production Safety have been added to the crew as well to ensure that there are zero “working weapons” or “any form of ammunition” on set.
“Live ammunition is — and always was — prohibited on set,” the statement said.
New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies formally filed charges against Baldwin, along with the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who oversaw the weapons on set.
Both Baldwin, 64, and Gutierrez-Reed are facing five-year prison sentences if convicted.
An attorney for the actor previously told Page Six that the charge against his client was “a terrible miscarriage” of justice.
“Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun — or anywhere on the movie set,” said Luke Nikas of the Quinn Emanuel law firm. “He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds.”
He added, “We will fight these charges, and we will win.”