Warning: Graphic images ahead
Aaron Carter’s friends are doubling down on allegations that the singer’s “suspicious” death “doesn’t add up.”
After the singer’s mother, Jane Schneck, released gruesome new photos of the scene where her son’s body was found, Morgan Matthews and Bryan Cassidy told Page Six that they also believe Carter’s death needs to be further investigated as a “potential homicide.”
“He would always be paranoid about people being after him or [that] somebody is after him,” explained Cassidy, who was close with Carter for the last three years of his life.
“[How Aaron’s body was found] gave me suspicion too because I was like, ‘Wait a minute, was he paranoid or was he not?’ I don’t want to point fingers, but it just doesn’t add up.”
Matthews, who worked as the “I Want Candy” singer’s former manager, echoed those sentiments, alleging to Page Six that Carter was “around the wrong people” and often brought up his paranoia while the two worked on music together.
“He said, ‘There are people after me, I need help, I need to get out of this town,’” Matthews recalled. “He was trying to leave. His house was for sale for a long time.”
As previously reported, Carter was found dead at his California home in November 2022, surrounded by cans of compressed air and prescription pill bottles. He was 34.
While Carter’s official cause of death has yet to be released pending a toxicology report, the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office ruled out drowning due to not finding water in the former child star’s lungs.
Carter’s mother wrote in a March 1 Facebook post that she is “still trying to get a real investigation” into her son’s death. She claims the coroner wrote it off “as an accidental overdose” and “never investigated it as a possible crime scene” due to Carter’s past struggles with addiction.
The photos Schneck shared in her post showed a stained tub filled with green water, as well as clothing and what appeared to be feces spread across the floor. Schneck also argued that the way the towels were “perfectly placed” on the floor seemed suspicious.
The post came after Carter’s on-again, off-again fiancée, Melanie Martin, told TMZ in January that text messages between the singer and an “unidentified person” were submitted as evidence in what appeared to be a drug deal days before Carter’s death.
The text messages, obtained by Page Six, show a suspected drug dealer attempting to collect $800 from Carter for an unknown substance.
The family was suspicious that Carter may have later met with the dealer to obtain the drugs, taking a substance that might have ultimately killed him.
Despite speculation surrounding Carter’s death, Matthews emphasized that the songwriter loved his life and shut down the idea that his death may have been intentional.
For more Page Six you love …
“We do know that Aaron loved his life every day. He woke up, called us and he loved doing stuff every day,” Matthews told us.
“He loved his life. People who love their life don’t end it.”
In response to the latest claims regarding Carter’s “suspicious” death, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department released a statement to Rolling Stone.
“Homicide detectives are continuing their investigation into the death of Aaron Carter. To date, there has been no evidence of foul play found during the investigation,” the statement read.
“The results of Mr. Carter’s autopsy are still pending. The investigation remains ongoing.”
Reps for Carter did not immediately respond to Page Six’s request for comment.